Naturopathic Medicine in Illinois

Page last updated 19 Dec 2019

Action alert

Senate Bill 708 and House Bill 2530 licensing bills. SB 708 has been postponed. Naturopaths would be allowed to use the title “physician.”

Sponsored by Senators Iris Martinez, Thomas Cullerton, and Emil Jones and Representatives Robyn Gabel and Sheri Jesiel.

Information courtesy of Society for Science-Based Medicine.

Want to get involved?

Contact your Illinois Senate and Assembly representatives and voice your opposition to legitimizing the practice of naturopathy.

Not sure what to say? Check out these tips for speaking with lawmakers from the Union of Concerned Scientists.

Sign the petition Naturopaths are not doctors: stop legitimizing pseudoscience

To stay up-to-date with legislative efforts in Illinois, you can subscribe to the state association’s legislation newsletter here.

Media Coverage

NUHS: an unlawful but accredited naturopathic program? Naturopathic Diaries. 24 May 2016. Taylor Hermes.

Scope of practice

Naturopaths are not registered or licensed in Illinois. They are not permitted to use the title doctor in the state; doing so is grounds for investigation.


The state is home to National University of Health Sciences (NUHS), an accredited naturopathic university. NUHS received accreditation in 2012.  Naturopaths are not permitted to practice medicine in Illinois.

As Taylor Hermes writes:

NUHS cannot provide its students clinical instructors who possess the necessary qualifications to train primary care physicians, as its clinical instructors can only teach the unlicensed practice of medicine.

How to file a complaint

Physicians in the state are regulated by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation. Anyone can file a complaint. To file a complaint online, please click here.

A complaint form can also be completed and mailed to:

Department of Financial and Professional Regulation
Division of Professional Regulation
Complaint Intake Unit
100 West Randolph Street, Suite 9-300
Chicago, IL 60601

For more information, please call (312) 814-6910